The Selection Committee reviews all nominations, requests dossiers for a pool of finalists they wish to consider for the award, and ultimately chooses up to two winners to recommend to the Provost.
- Senior, full-time faculty members with an official academic appointment are eligible to be nominated.
- Faculty with a primary appointment at CUIMC are not eligible for this Faculty Mentoring Award, but are eligible for the Mentor of the Year Award, which was established in 2012.
- Barnard and Teachers College faculty, visiting faculty and campus-level administrators (e.g., in the offices of the President and Provost, deans or department chairs) are not eligible for this award.
- Nominees should have served as a faculty mentor, in a formal or informal capacity, to several junior and/or mid-career faculty over a continuous period and have had demonstrated success in the areas they mentor (e.g., research, teaching).
- This award is bestowed as a once in a lifetime achievement. Past winners are not eligible to receive a second award.
- A demonstrated commitment to fostering the intellectual, creative, scholarly, and professional growth of her/his mentees so that they may function effectively and with measurable success at Columbia and at the national/international level
- Evidence of sustained commitment to a professional mentoring relationship that results in career growth or personal development of mentees
- An overall track record of mentoring and service to the faculty
If you have questions about the Faculty Mentoring Award, please contact the Office of the Vice Provost for Faculty Advancement at [email protected].