Nominations for 2018 Presidential Teaching Awards
Dear fellow members of the Columbia community,
I invite you to nominate faculty and graduate student instructors for the annual Presidential Awards for Outstanding Teaching. The awards recognize teaching excellence at both the undergraduate and graduate levels and honor those who have had a lasting influence on the intellectual development of our students. Each year the University bestows these awards on five faculty members and three graduate student instructors to honor individual excellence and celebrate the important contributions they make to our educational offerings.
- All full-time, part-time, and adjunct faculty may be nominated (except prior winners). President Bollinger will confer five faculty awards, each of which will carry a prize of $20,000, at Commencement in May. For further details on the selection process and eligibility criteria, please see: http://academicprograms.columbia.edu/presidential-teaching-awards-faculty.
- A list of the distinguished faculty who have already received an award can be found here: http://academicprograms.columbia.edu/prior-faculty-teaching-award-winners.
- Faculty nominations may be submitted by clicking on this link: www.teachingawards.provost.columbia.edu.
- All graduate student instructors (except prior winners) who are currently enrolled in a degree program at Columbia may be nominated. Three awards are presented at the Convocation of the Graduate School of Arts & Sciences and carry a prize of $8,000. For further details on the selection process and eligibility criteria, please see: http://academicprograms.columbia.edu/presidential-teaching-awards-graduate-student-instructors-teaching-assistants.
- A list of prior graduate student awardees can be found here: http://academicprograms.columbia.edu/prior-graduate-student-instructor-teaching-assistant-winners.
- Nominations for Graduate student instructors (teaching assistants) may be submitted by clicking on this link: http://teachingawards.provost.columbia.edu/provostgraduateawards.
The deadline for all nominations is February 1, 2018.
Selection committees will choose a group of finalists from the nominations received, and ask each finalist’s department to assemble a dossier of supporting materials. Following a review of those materials, the committees will recommend those individuals they believe best exemplify the ideal of a great teacher, and forward their nominations to the President for his approval. For further information, please visit the Presidential Teaching Awards website: http://academicprograms.columbia.edu/presidential-teaching-awards.
I thank you in advance for your nominations, and for your help in honoring those who are making outstanding contributions to the teaching mission of the University.
John H. Coatsworth