About the Initiative
Provost Boyce appointed a working group of faculty, researchers, postdocs, students, and administrators to develop recommendations to ensure an environment for learning, research, living, and working that is free from discrimination and harassment, and that does not tolerate abusive or intimidating behavior.
The group's recommendations were submitted in May 2022 and after vibrant dialogue and thoughtful feedback across the University, Columbia University is advancing steps to implement recommendations from the report.
Progress Report on Implementation
On February 20 2023, Provost Boyce provided an update to the community outlining initial steps to implement recommendations from the the Anti-Bullying Working Group's report. Those steps are:
- Adopt the Working Group's proposed definition of bullying
- Establish a standing, University-wide Provost’s Advisory Committee on Bullying
- Establish an interim, University-wide Referral Committee to receive and refer complaints
- Identify school- and unit-based points of contact to receive and help resolve complaints and work on issues of culture and climate
- Identify coordinators in the Provost’s Office who can address problematic behavior as needed
- Continue to promote safe and inclusive research environments, in accordance with funding agency expectations
- Assess current resources, best practices, and opportunities for enhancing University programs
News and Reports
February 20, 2023 - This report expands on the update, outlining next steps to begin implementing recommendations from the the Anti-Bullying Working Group's report.
February 20, 2023 - Provost Boyce shares an update with the community on new steps in the Anti-Bullying Initiative.
December 5, 2022 - The PPC responds to the ABWG recommendations, addressing terminology, principles and values, response mechanisms, and next steps.
May 9, 2022 - Provost Boyce shares the Working Group's report with the Columbia community.
May 6, 2022 - The report proposes a definition of bullying, a remedial framework, and changes to help prevent such behavior.