This conversation honored Columbia’s rich LGBTQ+ history, highlighted hubs of LGBTQ+ scholarship, and celebrated major advancements in LGBTQ+ law and policy. The faculty and staff panelists, whose contributions to LGBTQ+ scholarship and activism have had a significant impact on life at Columbia and beyond, discussed the implications of promoting an LGBTQ+- affirming campus climate for recruitment, mentoring, advancement, and overall well-being.
Opening remarks from Provost Mary Boyce and EVP for University Life and Senior Vice Provost for Faculty Advancement Dennis Mitchell framed the possibilities for greater LGBTQ+ visibility and inclusion as part of Columbia’s broader mission toward social justice.
- Walter Bockting, Area Leader, Gender, Sexuality, and Health; Director of the Program for the Study of LGBT Health; Professor of Medical Psychology (In Psychiatry and Nursing)
- Anke Ehrhardt, Professor of Medical Psychology (in Psychiatry)
- Billy Caceres, Assistant Professor of Nursing
- Katherine Franke, James L. Dohr Professor of Law; Director, Center for Gender & Sexuality Law; Faculty Director, Law, Rights, and Religion Project; Faculty Director, ERA Project
- Tonya Richards, Chief Staff Diversity Officer, CUIMC Human Resources
- Brian Smith, Assistant Professor of Computer Science